Use your leftover cranberries from your Thanksgiving cranberry sauce for this sweet and tangy pie cranberry/apple pie!
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup oats
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp canola oil
- 6 apples (your fave type!)
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 tbs pure honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl–whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, sea salt, and chia seeds. Mix well.
- Mix milk and 1/4 of cup canola oil in a separate bowl, then add to the dry mix and knead with your hands.
- Lightly cover the bottom of a baking tray with 1 tsp of canola oil.
- Take half of the dough and round it up into a ball. Then place it in the center of the pie tray. Using your fist, flatten the dough, and spread until it reaches the edges, and gently push up until the entire circumference of the tray is covered with a layer of dough.
- To avoid the pie from rising while baking, place parchment paper over the pie tray and spread some uncooked beans or lentils throughout the tray. Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, slice the apples.
- Throw the sliced apples and cranberries into a large pan. Sprinkle cinnamon, drizzle honey and sauté until the apples are soft and the cranberries have popped. (About 10-15 minutes).
- When the crust is ready, let it cool for 5 minutes. You may notice that the crust has begun to leaven. Simply press down to even the dough out. Layer the fruits neatly into the crust.
- With the remaining dough, roll it up into a ball and place on your cleaned cutting board. If you have a rolling pin, use it to flatten the dough. If not, you’ll have to put those muscles to use! Cut the flattened dough into 1-inch strips.
- Take the middle strip first and place it in the center of the pie and work your way to either side. Crack an egg into a small bowl and remove the egg white. Mix the yolk well and drizzle onto the dough strips for a mouth-watering glow!
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes and voila!
I also tried out my new tart tray. I halved the recipe and made the top strips of dough as thin as I could. Get creative!