I took part in the annual Staff Bake-Off, and made these baked apple roses. There were voted a “favorite” by my colleagues! Try it for your next bridal shower, girl’s night, or simply as a nice surprise for a friend!
Serving size: 12 roses
Prep time: 45 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1h 30 minutes
- 3 apples
- ½ lemon
- 1 can of croissant pastry dough (look for ones with 0 trans fat)
- Apricot jam (read the label to scan for high fructose corn syrup)
- Ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
- Cut the apples vertically in half. Slice the apples into about ⅛ inch slices.
- Fill a large microwavable bowl halfway with water and squeeze half a lemon (pitted) into the bowl. Place the apple slices into the bowl and microwave for 3 minutes or until they become flimsy.
- Roll out pastry dough as thin as you can and cut the slices into 1.5 inches in width and about 9 inches long.
- Scoop about 5 tablespoons of apricot jam into a bowl with 3 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir.
- Line the sliced apples on the upper half of the dough as shown. Paste the apricot jam on the lower half of the dough. Sprinkle cinnamon.
- Fold the dough over to cover the apples.
- Starting at one end, roll the dough tightly into a rose.
- Repeat steps 5-7 until you run out of dough.
- Place the roses into a cupcake holder with cupcake lining. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the dough is crisp.
- Using a tea steeper, sprinkle powdered sugar onto the rose just before serving.