Turmeric is a plant powder most commonly used to give curry its yellow hue and spice. But that’s not all it’s good for! Turmeric contains curcumin, a bioactive substance that reeps anti-inflammatory effects, helping to ease joint pain (a natural ibuprofen!). It’s also known for its ability to improve brain, skin, heart, liver, and digestive health. Studies have also shown that turmeric can protect against colon cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Try sprinkling turmeric into your salad dressing, soup, brown rice or drink!
Here’s an iced tea with the powerful ingredient. The orange and organic honey turns the spicy turmeric into a slightly sweet summer beverage!
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 4-inch strip of ginger root
- 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
- 1 orange
1. Boil water in a medium-sized pot.
2. Slice oranges, removing the peel.
3. Remove the ginger peel and slice into thin pieces.
4. When the water begins to boil (bubbles start to arise), squeeze the orange juice from the slices into the pot, and dump the rest of the orange into the pot. Add the ginger slices, turmeric and honey into the pot. Let boil while stirring continuously.
6. Lower heat and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove the solid ingredients and place in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Serve cold and enjoy its healthy benefits!