There’s a reason why quinoa was named a superfood! The tiny grains are a complete protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. It has twice the fiber content of all other grains, which helps regulate the digestive system, reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol. It’s also rich in iron, magnesium, riboflavin and manganese.
But that’s not all! Quinoa ranks high on the ‘foods for beauty’ list! The vitamins in quinoa help to make our skin soft and smooth and reduce wrinkles. The hydrolyzed protein in quinoa coats and nourishes our hair follicles, promoting hair growth. It can also increase elasticity in hair and help seal split ends!
Let’s put this superfood to the test! Who says we have to eat quinoa for lunch or dinner? Have it in these quinoa bars for a post-workout snack!
**It is important that you soak the quinoa overnight. To do so, first wash the grains thoroughly using a strainer with a pot underneath. Then, place 1 cup of quinoa and 1.5 cups of warm water into a pot. Drop 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice into the pot. Cover it and let it sit for 12-24 hours. This will help break down the proteins, allowing for easier digestion. Soaking the grains also reduces phytic acid, which inhibits the absorption of essential nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and copper. When your quinoa is fully soaked, you’re ready to begin!
- 1 cup quinoa (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup craisins
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 medium-sized apple
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well–quinoa, oats, whole wheat flour, chia seeds, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Peel the apple and cut into small pieces. Using a blender, blend until it becomes applesauce. Set aside.
4. Crack the egg into a small bowl and stir until liquified.
5. Dump the applesauce and egg juice into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the remainder of the wet ingredients: peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly. Add craisins and mix again until there’s a craisin in every inch.
6. Place the mix into a low baking tray. Spread out and flatten to a ½ inch. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
Use these bars to fuel up after your next workout!