Gelatin is more than just an ingredient in Jell-o and marshmallows. It’s used in many of our daily foods and products.
What is it? Gelatin is protein derived from animals—usually cow or pigs—by boiling skin, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones and is found in various foods, cosmetics and drugs. Original gelatin comes in a small box with 4 packets. One packet contains 20 calories, and only 5 calories per serving, none of which are from fat. With no carbohydrates and 8 grams of protein per packet, it’s a great addition to your juice, smoothie, or even baked goods!
Where is it used? Gelatin is hidden in shampoos, photo film, the coating of vitamins, as well as foods such as fruit gelatins (Jell-O), gummy snacks, marshmallows, salad dressing, jams, and many dairy products including cheese, ice cream and yogurts.
How can it help us? As a significant source of protein, gelatin can help reduce joint pain, control our appetite, and help in the weight-loss process when combined with fruits and vegetables.
How can we use it? Mix plain gelatin into fruit drinks, cookie and cake mix, or salad dressing to add more protein to your diet.
What if I’m vegetarian or vegan? Gelatin, because it originates from animal parts, is not considering vegetarian, vegan or Halal. However, agar-agar, a substance made from seaweed, serves as an alternative.
I experimented with gelatin, and created a delicious, fruity gelatin dessert!
- 2 packets of gelatin
- 1 bag of frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Let frozen mixed berries thaw for about 30 minutes.
- Pour ¾ of the mixed berries into blender until liquefied. (You may want to do them a handful at a time to avoid clogging the blender).
- Pour into a large bowl and add gelatin, brown sugar and honey. Mix well.
- Place 1/3 of the berry mix into a pot and boil.
- Pour boiled berry juice back into the large bowl and mix with the remaining juice.
- Pour the remaining thawed berries into a [glass] tray.
- Pour the berry juice into the tray and spread evenly.
- Place tray into the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!