Craving something sweet? Dates might be just what you need!
5 reasons to eat dates:
1. Dates are low in calories, fat and free from cholesterol.
2. Dates are rich in protein, iron, potassium, vitamins and minerals.
3. The high fiber content helps improve digestive function.
4. The natural sugars in dates act as energy boosters, making them a great breakfast food or afternoon snack! Despite its sugar content, dates are considered a low-glycemic index food and not proven to raise blood sugar.
5. Dates contain fluorine, which helps slow the process of tooth decay.
But we don’t have to eat them plain! Here’s a vegan and gluten-free date pie recipe, loaded with protein and omega-3s!
2 cups dates or one 16 oz container of fresh dates (I used Medjool dates!)
2.5 cups brown rice flour (almond flour or oat flours are great too!)
2 tbs chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup gluten-free oats
¾ cup soy creamer
¼ cup + 1 tbs canola oil
1. Soak dates overnight (or in the morning if making it in the evening). Be sure to cover it to avoid dusty dates!
2. When you’re ready to begin baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Remove the water from the dates and rinse dates. Remove the seed from each date. Mash up and stir until it becomes a paste with minimal chunks. Set aside.
4. Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl: brown-rice flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, sea salt and chia seeds. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
5. Pour soy creamer and canola oil into the dry mix. Mix well using a wooden spoon, then knead with your hands.
6. Lightly cover the bottom of a baking tray with canola oil. Then, using a little more than half the dough, place a thin layer of dough in the baking tray and press down. Be sure to get the edges for a crunchy crust!
8. Place the crust in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove.
9. With a spoon, spread date purée on top of the crust, creating an even layer.
10. Place another layer of crust on top of the date purée. Place in the oven for 60 minutes.
11. Let it cool for 10 minutes, slice and share!
It’s perfect for a date-night treat!