Well, since I bought that huge bin of oatmeal….
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour (preferable whole wheat flour, but to my dismay, my local A&P did not sell whole wheat flour)
- 2 apples
- ¼ cup oil (preferably canola oil)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash blueberries well. (Sometimes companies will put chemicals on fruits to preserve them, so you always want to make sure to wash your fruits and vegetables, even if it says it’s already washed!)
- Wash and shave apples. Cut into small chunks.
- Place the apple chunks in the blender with about ¼ cup of water. Purée until it becomes saucy.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients: oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Dump the wet ingredients: applesauce, oil, honey and mix very well. (It helps to mix via a chopping motion to ensure that every inch contains every ingredient!)
- Add the blueberries and mix.
- Grease a tray lightly and pour the mix into the tray. Even out the batter.
9. Place in the oven. And now we just sit by the oven and wait.
The cooking time may vary from 30-60 minutes. I kept mine in for about an hour, checking it occasionally. Check to see if it’s ready by poking a toothpick through your dessert and if the batter doesn’t stick to the toothpick, you’re ready to go!
Cut, serve, and enjoy!
The last bite is always the best bite!
I’m going to pack one of these bars for lunch tomorrow as my snack!
Let me know if you try this and how it turns out!